There are many factors in classifying hotels. In the Philippines, hotel classification is done through the process of accreditation.
Before discussing about the classification of hotels, let us define what is hotel in the Philippine context. Philippine hotel is defined as a property that offers professional services and accommodation for tourists, vacationers or backpackers in exchange for payment.
Hotels undergo the process of accreditation conducted by the Department of Tourism (DOT) in the Philippines; The goal is to primarily check if it would pass the required standards for hotel operations, now called as the National Accommodation Standards. The hotel standards may fall into security, hygiene, ease and expediency for hotel guests. A certificate will be issued as a proof that the property was able to meet the minimum standards and recognized by DOT. The accreditation will also determine the classification of hotels.
Hotels in the Philippines are classified before as De Luxe Class, First Class, Standard Class and Economy Class. These classifications are graded according to the existence of inventory checklist.
Inventory Falls Into:
- Location – Locality, Environs, Facade, Architectural features
- Bedroom Facilities and Furnishings – Size, Suite, Bathrooms, Telephone, Radio/Television, Cold Drinking Water, Refrigerator/Mini-Bar, Room Service, Furnishings and Lighting, and Information Materials
- Front Office/Reception – Lounge, Porter Service, Foreign Exchange Counter, Mailing Facilities, Long Distance/Overseas Calls, Reception Amenities, Telex and Facsimile
- Housekeeping – Linen, Laundry/Dry Cleaning Service, Carpeting
- Food and Beverage – Dining Room, Bar, Kitchen, Crockery
- Recreational Facilities – Swimming Pool, Tennis/Golf/Squash/Gym Facilities,
- Entertainment – Live entertainment
- Engineering and Maintenance – Maintenance, Air-conditioning, Ventilation, Lighting, Emergency Power, Fire Prevention Facilities
- General Facilities – Outdoor Area, Parking/Valet, Function and Conference Facilities, Shops, Security, Medical Service
- Service and Staff – Professional, and customer service oriented
- Special Facilities – Business center, limousine, airport and tour services
In the last quarter of 2012, the National Accommodation Standards has been made with the coordination of DOT Philippines and German Technical Cooperation (GIZ). National Accommodation Standards is a point system based on inventory, availability, condition and quality of a specific facility as well as service. Its is called the star rating system.
To implement the new star rating system the DOT will gather 65 private sector auditors with at least 10 experience on hospitality industries and quality assurance, in accordance to Republic Act No. 9593 (source 2), also known as the “Tourism Act of 2009”.
While waiting for the results from independent auditors, the accreditation by regional offices is still done but adjusted with the new standards. Some regional offices still uses the old classification while waiting for the auditors.
To obtain higher rating, the overall hotel service, facilities, and business practices should be improved.
- One Star
- Two Star
- Three Star
- Four Star
- Five Star
|Star Grading||Total Score (Hotel, Resort, Apartel)|
|1 star||251 – 400 points|
|2 star||401 – 550 points|
|3 star||551 – 700 points|
|4 star||701 – 850 points|
|5 star||851 – 1000 points|
The criteria for the rating system is composed of seven major business area. The lounge area and the kitchen area is only used for apartment hotels.
|Arrival & Departure||10%|
|Food $ Beverage||15%|
|Lounge Area *||n/a|
|Kitchen Area *||n/a|
Jinisys Software on Hospitality
Jinisys Software as a property management system for hospitality industries has always been following the standard of hotel operations. Our Folio+ hotel system is a hotel management system designed to adhere on both international and local standards on hotel management. Our hotel software has been implemented by various hotel and resorts in the Philippines.
Latest posts by Jojo Balagosa (see all)
- Features You Need from Any Hotel Management Software - November 13, 2017
- Importance of a good Inventory System for your business - November 13, 2017
- Basic Functions of Property Management System to Look for - November 13, 2017